Cardinal updates the Pope on Medjugorje
Pope Benedict XVI has met with Cardinal Camillo Ruini to discuss the progress of the Medjugorje Commission. With 6-7 months of work left, and the visionaries having made a good impression, Vatican expectations of a non-decisive Commission squares with central previous statements.
The Vatican Commission on Medjugorje has six or seven months of work left. By the end of this year the commission headed by Cardinal Camillo Ruini will conclude its work with a pronouncement to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and then Pope Benedict XVI.
Early on February 24 this schedule was presented by Cardinal Ruini when the Pope received him in audience to discuss the progress of the investigation, the experienced Vatican journalist Andrea Tornielli informs in Vatican Insider.
Like other sources before him, Tornielli states that visionaries Ivan Dragicevic and Jakov Colo met with the Commission earlier this week, and that all six visionaries have now appeared before the Commission.
“Currently, it is not possible to predict what the final verdict will be. The seers have generally made a good impression on the Commission members. But the outcome considered most likely in the sacred buildings at the moment is a repeat of the 1991 suspension of judgment, without openly taking a stand for or against” Vatican Insider reports.
In 1991, the Yugoslav bishops left the issue of Medjugorje’s authenticity undecided, leaving the matter open for more investigations. Since then, the bishops’ verdict “non constat de supernaturalitate” was often misinterpreted to mean that the bishops had condemned Medjugorje while in fact the bishops refrained from raising their voices on the issue.
The expectation that the Vatican Commission will not conclude on the authenticity of the apparitions in Medjugorje runs contrary to a statement from Commission member Fr. Salvatore Perrella. On January 21st 2011 he told Catholic News Service that “the Pope wants a decisive conclusion made.”
Likewise, the expectation that the Vatican Commission will not be case-deciding squares with what the Apostolic Nuncio to Bosnia and Hercegovina, Archbishop Allessandro d’Errico, told Radio MIR Medjugorje on March 18th 2010, one day after the Commission had been announced:
“Whenever I would meet The Holy Father, he was always very much interested in Medjugorje. He was involved in everything, starting with the time when he was Head of The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He is aware that this is the issue of special importance, and he, as supreme authority of the Church, needs to give his precise statement about that matter.”
The visionaries’ audiences with the Commission have taken place in a hall of the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith where the Commission has its archives, Vatican Insider further informs.
Spirit Daily circulated this article